Monday, February 23, 2009

36 things and counting

You know how back in the olden days women were the homemakers and the men went to work to provide for his family? Those days are long gone. In today's economy that's barely possible anymore even though some families are still like that. Women stepped up years ago so that they, too, could provide for their family and why shouldn't they? Here's my thought of the day: If both husband and wife are working and contributing to the household income, then why does a man think he can just come home, kick up his feet, and watch TV? His wife was at work all day too, but she is still on the go cooking dinner, picking up around the house, and helping the kids with homework.

Here's an old quote for ya.

"A man works from dusk til' dawn, but a woman's work is never done"

I'm not saying this about all men, believe me, but what gives for the ones who are like this? Get off your lazy bum. (Women too) You chose to get married, buy a house, and start a family. Now strive in your marriage, take care of your house, and take care of your kids.

On a quick sidenote- I think people give up to easily in marriages. There are certain circumstances where it is absolutely necessary (one is abuse for sure), but others problems could be worked through with some dedication. The top 5 reasons for divorce in this country are money, infidelity, poor communication, change in priorities, and lack of commitment. Sad, sad. I do believe in marriage 100% though. I don't like all this thinking that "we don't need to prove our love with a piece of paper..." Well, this is going to get into moral issues...I'll just say that I don't believe in sex before marriage among other things. Let's not go there, this was supposed to be a "quick sidenote" haha.

ANYWAY, this got me thinking about my future (go fig) and what I need/want in a husband. Here is the list I've made thus far in no particular order:
  1. Honest
  2. Compassionate
  3. Affectionate
  4. Ambitious
  5. Gentleman
  6. Giving
  7. Thoughtful
  8. Hilarious
  9. Helpful
  10. Strong
  11. Handy
  12. Romantic
  13. Good listener
  14. Good father
  15. Patient
  16. Supportive
  17. Fun
  18. Good morals
  19. Believes in God
  20. Likes dogs
  21. Plays tennis with me :)
  22. Sticks up for me
  23. Takes care of me when I'm sick
  24. Believes in an egalitarian marriage
  25. Isn't afraid to show his emotions
  26. Cuddles
  27. Handsome
  28. Puts the toilet seat down
  29. Responsible
  30. Respectful
  31. Problem solver
  32. Owns up to his mistakes
  33. Remembers important dates
  34. Talks just as well has he listens
  35. He's my best friend
  36. He shows me that he loves me everyday
Okay, so this list is a good size and I know that no one is perfect. There are things on this list that are a must, while others are just silly and not nearly as important. I think every gal should do this. I'll probably think of more, but this is all for now. Am I being demanding and unrealistic? Maybe, but I don't know. I want my husband to try to be the best version of himself that he can be. All I'm asking for is that he tries. As far as that goes, I'm still working on myself and I know I have a long way to go yet. Also, I'm young and may have no idea what I'm talking about up above. I know marriage and having a family isn't always easy or a happy, walk in the park, skippidy do da time. I'm just thinking outloud...or writing. Whatever.

That's all.
Byyyyyye

2 comments:

  1. yay!!! brittany has a blog!!!

    your husband list is ambitious, dear. but stick to it...he does exist....

    and if he doesn't, then you don't really need him to begin with...right? :)

    :)aimee

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right! =)
    I suppose I could let a handfull of them slide though..maybe..not a fan of falling in the toilet, ya know?

    ReplyDelete